Sunday 30 June 2013

On to the next leg of the Journey; Cape Town!


Table Top Mountain


V&A Pier
So day two of Cape Town can be checked off as Success!  My time in Soweto ended on a high note with treating the kids to hot dogs and spending as much time as possible with them before I left.  I can’t even begin to describe the amount of love that I found at Tsogang Sechaba, Poppy holds a very dear place in my heart; I will miss her amazing stories about standing up for herself in a time where women and Africans were not allowed to even fight for their rights.  Tony is also a role model of what we should all strive for in our lives, following your passion and contributing to the betterment of society. As trying as my finals days were at Tsogang Sechaba, being able to pay my respects to the families of the wonderful people I met who had passed on helped me to get closure and to appreciate the fact that I’m still here and living life to the fullest. I look forward to being able to apply all of the lessons I learned and the stories that were shared with me to the courses I will be taking with Professor Moja.

Back on the water!
As far as Cape Town, I was taken back by the fact that I was a bit culture shocked when first arriving; Soweto, was a completely different world and it is mind boggling to me that it is only two hours away from CT (flying) yet, they are as different as night and day. Cape town is picturesque and ideal with its beautiful mountains; peaks coming through the clouds and the reflection of sailboats on the water...it’s perfect.  Though, you still sense the presence of segregation to a certain extent and it’s the most interesting thing to observe how far South Africa has come since the end of Apartheid, yet it has a very long way to go.  I’m still trying to understand not only the history of South Africa, but the issues that the country is dealing with at the moment, Immigration and the devastating effects that the lack of government involvement has had on education has sparked my interest. I think it will be my research project while here in SA.  I am beyond thrilled to start learning from Professor Moja; I don’t think I’ve felt this much glee over a class in a long time!

 
J&H group dinner :)
So far, I am enjoying my mini vacation until my classes begin on Tuesday.  I have visited the V&A Waterfront which has a mini “London eye” tons of delicious restaurants with fresh seafood and tasty bakeries! It reminds me very much of Barca, the mountains, the ocean, the palm trees all come together to make something truly magical. I spent my first day exploring the area and treating myself to a mini-shopping spree; I am completely justified due to needing clothes urgently since I definitely under packed! The night before last we all went out to dinner to this Victorian-esque restaurant/bar called Jekyll & Hyde. We feasted on “tapas”, Tequila beer and some delicious South African Red Wine. Everyone so far is enthusiastic about the program, very outgoing and looking forward to some awesome adventures! I relish in the fact that I still get opportunities to make new friends at NYU, considering I pretty much know everyone in my own program so this is all extremely refreshing!  Everyone always ask me if I miss my friends/family and I do but at the same time, taking what I learned in Soweto and pairing it with what I know will be a significant experience here in Cape Town and Pretoria;I know I made the right choice. Sometimes you don’t get to choose the changes that come about in your life; they are sudden, sometimes jarring.Then those opportunities come along where you do have a say in taking on an experience that will change you, mold you and strengthen you and that is exactly what this has been. Time is flying by way too quickly so  I’m trying to live in the moment as much as I can!



No comments:

Post a Comment