Friday 21 June 2013

Play me that Chemical Romance/ The Fray/ One Republic violin


I'm not sure why the past two days have been such a struggle for me; I don't feel homesick, gotten used to the food and I’ve been pretty productive at work yet that emo title could completely be applied to me right now. I’m thinking it has something to do with the readings I have started doing for my classes in July including Kaffir Boy; The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa by Mark Mathabane.  Every single time I start reading this book, I become completely engrossed in it; learning about the struggle against Apartheid while living in Soweto, South Africa, has been an experience I know not many get to experience. I’m so grateful for Poppy, Tony and Seth for sharing their stories with me.  While reading Kaffir Boy, the author very vividly depicts the life and death situations he faced as a child, the terror he lived through, the complete loss of faith in humanity and at times himself. I really didn’t want to keep reading this book but I knew I had to. I'm glad I did, I was inspired by this young man's 'American Dream' it brought new meaning to the phrase for me.

I don’t normally consider finishing a novel a victory by any means, considering I genuinely love to read! I think that what made this a victory was the fact that just a few miles down the road from where I'm currently staying, there are ghettos like the ones depicted in Kaffir boy; sure they aren’t raided by police on a daily basis and people aren't being indiscriminately killed by the authorities however, the hunger, the sadness, the lack of electricity and poor sanitary conditions are all still there. Do you really have a choice of where to live when you are unemployed due to not being a SA citizen, tending to child who although was born in SA is refused a CSG (child support grant) by the government which is contingent upon a parents nationality? I wasn’t aware that that so many of the people who lived in these shacks were mostly immigrants escaping war and even harsher conditions than the ones they lived in now.

 It seems no matter where I go my research is driven by immigration (Deja vu Spain) and the terrible consequences of it when governments refuse to establish proper procures and guidelines for the changing dynamics in their country. Maybe my frustration stems from that fact that I don’t know much about South African laws and politics besides the little knowledge I have acquired in the past week and half. It seems that what I did learn back in the United States doesn't align with what SA citizens have to say. Also, I’m learning through fieldwork, these kids who aren’t being awarded the 290 Rand (approx. $30) a month they rightfully deserve and much more in my opinion, are my kids. I play with them, I work for them, I’m able to put names and faces to the statistics I read about in the papers and other pieces of literature.  I look forward to being able to apply all of these experiences to the academic work I will be doing in Cape Town and Pretoria in July; I want to make it all mean something already...

One of the things I miss most is the sunset setting on the NYC skyline and the many times I took for granted how privileged I was to live in a city my kids idealize.  I also miss the sound of the rain, as I would fall asleep under the coziest blanket in my parent’s home in Florida. Those are two of my favorite memories from my home. It’s a different story here; when I go to sleep at night, instead of seeing stars I see smog and that smog comes from the fires that are being lit in the ghettos of Soweto where electricity consists of a wire on the ground throughout the compound. It's winter here, so these fires just remind me that at least they found firewood for the night. 

* Be a dreamer, be an achiever, and be yourself.


         This week has been a test of patience, endurance and faith. I hate feeling helpless, and I needed to snap out of it so I called my Mom, a very wise woman, who also told me to snap out of it and added on that I should do what I set out here to do; which was to help out by offering my skills and expertise and to just be what the kids needed me to be. Today, the kids needed me to be play ball with them( don't laugh those who know my sneakers are for gym use only) and I did. We started off as a group of 5 and before I knew it I had almost 30 kids ganging up on me, chasing me around a soccer field and telling me afterwards what a great time they had because they got to see me that day. 

It’s funny how being there for them was exactly what I needed for myself.  I understand what people mean when they say 'it’s why I do what I love.'  It isn’t easy and that’s something Tony says to me on a daily basis. This work while still facing the daily struggles of life is not easy but for some reason it’s easier almost instinctual to choose this path than any other. I’m as ambitious as they come but I strongly believe that there is a fine line between greed and ambition and the latter is what propels me to one day be the best at what I do and the former is what I think happens when we lose sight of the idealist in ourselves and in our responsibility to give back to the world if we are in a position to do so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment